Middle School Research Paper
This nine-week course will walk middle school writers through a basic research paper, from the initial stages of developing a topic through research, note-taking, outlining, drafting and revising. As this is an introductory course, the student will be limited to a 5-8 page paper. Although the writing coach will be available to make suggestions and offer direction, the subject matter of the paper will be up to the student.
Note: By selecting different topics, this course may be profitably taken multiple times.
Students who complete the course will be able to…
- craft a clear and concise thesis.
- locate and identify appropriate material for research.
- use the note card system for taking notes.
- organize and outline a paper in preparation for a first draft.
- properly cite sources according to MLA standards.
- create a properly-formatted Works Cited page.
- draft an original, research paper.
- respond to coach feedback on their writing through revising and proofreading.