Middle School Workshops
Middle School Narrative Writing
This eight-week class focuses on narrative writing, or storytelling. Most of us love stories and take naturally to storytelling, thus this class is a great starting place for most young writers. If you value creative expression, you’ll love this class. But it’s not just fun and games. Writing coaches use the engaging assignments in this class to teach principles that apply to just about any writing endeavor. In addition to a diagnostic assignment, students will write two narrative compositions in three drafts each under the guidance and instruction of their personal writing coach.
Note: The assignments and lesson content of this course significantly overlap Middle School Composition 1. We therefore do not recommend this course for students who have completed Middle School 1.
Students who complete the course will be able to…
- write effective narrative papers.
- respond to coach feedback on their writing through revising and proofreading.
- understand and apply concepts like conflict, plot, and point of view to their writing.
- understand and apply the concept of showing, rather than telling in their writing.
- engage the writing process by employing the following five steps in composing every paper: prewriting, drafting, revising, proofreading, publishing.
- improve their narrative writing across a wide range of broad evaluative areas, including content, style and form.