High School 3, Annual
This thirty-two week class includes a timed essay, a research paper and the content of WriteAtHome’s Essay 2 Workshop. The class is ideal for the college-bound student. The first semester includes a variety of writing assignments that cover all four major modes of writing: narrative, descriptive, expository, and persuasive. The second semester of the course focuses on the two kinds of writing that are most important at the college level: research papers and formal, persuasive essays.
Students who complete the course will be able to…
- write for a variety of purposes, including narration, description, exposition, and persuasion.
- craft a formal research paper, including establishing a thesis, finding and evaluating sources, note-taking, outlining, drafting, and revising.
- properly cite sources according to MLA standards.
- defend an opinion using structured, rational argumentation.
- engage the writing process by employing the following five steps in composing every paper: prewriting, drafting, revising, proofreading, publishing.
- demonstrate comprehension of basic mechanics rules in their writing.
- demonstrate proficiency at writing under time constraints.
- improve their writing across a wide range of broad evaluative areas, including content, style and form.