High School Semester Courses
High School 1, Semester
This sixteen-week class lays essential foundations for solid high school writing. Lessons provide an overview of basic principles that apply to writing projects of any kind. It focuses on the steps of the writing process and universal characteristics of good writing. We recommend all high school students new to WriteAtHome® begin with this course, regardless of age or grade level.
This course is offered twice per year: in the spring and in the fall.
Students who complete the course will be able to…
- write for a variety of purposes, including narrative, descriptive, expository, and persuasive.
- respond to feedback on their writing through revising and proofreading.
- explain the concepts of content, structure, word choice, rhythm, style, and mechanics.
- demonstrate an understanding of clarity, coherence, conciseness, and unity.
- demonstrate an understanding of the writing process by employing the following five steps in composing every paper: prewriting, drafting, revising, proofreading, publishing.
- demonstrate comprehension of basic grammar, usage, and mechanics rules in their writing.
- demonstrate increased proficiency at writing under time constraints.
- improve their writing across a wide range of broad evaluative areas, including content, style and form.